Anytime you lose your purse or wallet it opens the door for identity thieves to all the necessary information about you that they need to take advantage of your credit rating. From here they can easily sell off your personal information to other thieves online or start creating fraudulent accounts in your name and taking the property purchased on your credit and disappearing. This happens every day.
1. Phone your bank and credit card companies to let them know immediately.
Ask to have your account numbers changed as a security precaution.
2. File a Police report
3. Put a fraud alert on your account with all 3 of the credit agencies.
4. Contact your lenders fraud department
5. Get a copy of your credit report ASAP
6. Don’t forget to report your driver’s license lost and replace it at the DMV.
7. If you lost any keys you should change the locks that they match quickly.
8. Make an inventory list of what exactly you recall being inside the wallet/purse.
9. Signup with an ID Theft Protection Service
Tips to help protect you and limit your liability