Having worked in support for sometime I am amazed at the number of old 486 an first generation Pentium class computers still being used. Most people simply upgrade to new hardware. It is beyond me why people still use this old obsolete hardware.
Considering all of this I have compiled a list of the top ten ways this old hardware can be used.
10. Stack the cpus up to be used as a coffee table.
9. The old hardware is wonderfully suitable for taking space in your garage.
8. Donate the old hardware to a museum.
7. This hardware is great for occupying your local computer shops time by asking how it can be upgraded.
6. The CPU’s are great for holding projects down on a work bench.
5. Use a baseball bat on the old hardware to take out your frustrations with your new computer.
4. If you have a dog that diggs holes they are great as filler when covering the holes.
3. They are great conversation pieces for discussing the old days of computer hardware.
2. Several of them together can make a cool fort for the kids in their room.
Finally the last one, drum roll please!
1. Use your old 486 or Pentium class as a replacement boat anchor.
Just remember this old hardware is not upgradeable to current software standards. Don’t trouble yourself with figuring out how you can maintain these older components.